Thursday, October 18, 2012





Finished in
the nick of time!




In Bellingham, I'm fortunate enough to have three really good quilt shops - Fourth Corner Quilts, Two Thimbles, and Fabric - Etc. Each year, Fabric - Etc., hosts a charity quilt drive, called Bonnie's Team. Fabric - Etc., provides the backing fabric and the batting, and the completed quilts are donated to Bellingham's Madrona Infusion Center. (You can learn more about it here. )

At the beginning of August, when I picked out the backing fabric, I had delusions that I would get it done early this year! I remembered how last year, it felt like I barely got it turned in on the due date itself! 

Well... History, at least my history, has a way of repeating itself.
 
I was out of town, visiting some friends in Tennessee, at the beginning of October. When I came back home, I made a list of projects that I wanted to make before Christmas. Then I had the startling realization that I only had ten days to start, finish, and turn in, my Bonnie's Team quilt! 

I didn't even have a design in mind... 
Thank Heavens for Pinterest!
 
As I lie in bed, panicking about how to incorporate something fun, yet sophisticated, and all with the color pallet of the backing fabric, I started scrolling through my Quilting board on Pinterest. I found the perfect fit in Mod Chevron Baby Quilt, designed by Rashida Coleman-Hale. To get it to the size requirements needed, I did a little tweaking. Quilt math is always my favorite (sarcasm intended). After digging through my stash of fabric for just the right colors - I'm so picky that it even gets on my nerves - I was ready to get down to business!
 
I started cutting and assembly work on Friday, October 12th, and finished the quilting and binding on Tuesday, October 16th!  Not too shabby, if I say so myself.  If I look too closely as the quilt, I get annoyed, because I can see several spots where I didn't get corners/points matched up perfectly. I wouldn't go so far to say that half-square triangles are my nemesis, but they definitely won't get added to my Christmas card list, either, if you know what I mean.
      

Here she is, in all her glory! Done with only a few days to spare. (Maybe procratination really does work for me??)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment