Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Purse, bag, tote bag, and... oh look! Another purse!

So I've been thinking about this sewing journey lately...

I've had some very basic sewing skills for a couple decades now (you should have been around for my pillow-making phase when I was ten-ish!) but it's only been over the past year that I've really focused on developing this talent. I like to practice new (to me) techniques on things like purses and aprons, before attempting them on actual clothing.

On the left is a picture of the purse I just finished sewing for my mom. The pattern I used is called Birdie Sling, and it's by Amy Butler. It's the fourth Birdie Sling I've made (one for myself, one for Kaylee, one for Wendy, and now this one for Mom). I surprised myself on this one, though... After cutting out all the pieces and ironing on the interfacing, I realized that I didn't know where the instructions were. I continued on, and completed the purse instruction-free! 

Yeah for my memory!!!

As I finished this Birdie Sling, I started to wonder how many purses I've made in this past year.  I scurried around the house, gathering the purses. I looked through the pictures I've taken of things I've made and given away, and came to the grand total of eleven. Yep. 11 purses in the past year, with 3 more that are currently "under construction."

Here's my proof...

Birdie Sling, same as the purse I made for my mom. This one was for Kaylee Jones. The fabric called to me and I knew I had to make it for her. It's just soooooooooo Kaylee!  I gave it to her on 09/24/10 when I was visiting Nashville on a roadtrip. (I quickly took a photo of it in my hotel room before bringing it to her. It's still all wrinkled from being in my suitcase. Oops.)










The purse in the front is called a Two Hour Tulip by Anything But Boring.  I made it for Jessie, my niece. The purse behind it is the other Birdie Sling that I made for someone other than adorable li'l ol' me, and it went to Wendy, my sister-in-law. These were my Christmas presents to the two of them in 2010. (Hence, the snow in the background of the picture!)







And here are the rest!  (Well, including the one I just made my mom... It's on the right hand side.)  Should I admit, in print, that of the eleven purses I've finished, six of them have been for me??  What can I say?!  It's not going to stop me from making more. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are posting again. And I love your purses! You should open an Etsy site and make yourself some moolah from your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete